Network Defender - wannabe iPhone/iPad game

Apprentice
Hi,

one month ago I decided to use Flash games as public prototypes for mobile and casual games.

Yesterday we have released a new flash game: Network Defender.

[Image: 01-250.jpg] [Image: 02-250.jpg]
[Image: 03-250.jpg] [Image: 04-250.jpg]

Do you think a game like this could make it in the iPhone/iPad market or should I leave it as flash game and move to the next one?
Quote this message in a reply
I think this could do well on the iDevices. Go for it!
(Dec 3, 2010 03:55 AM)m3xican Wrote:  Do you think a game like this could make it in the iPhone/iPad market or should I leave it as flash game and move to the next one?

(Approximately) Anything can do well in the iOS market, and anything can fail in the iOS market, it really seems to be all a matter of how many people know about your product. It seems like what you have would make sense on the iDevices, but from there, anything could happen.
Seems like a pretty decent game. As mentioned, getting people to know that it exists is your biggest challenge on iOS.
Apprentice
A friend told me (and a quick search confirmed) that Apple suggests to have a dimension for clickable areas of 44x44 px, instead files moving in my game have a dimension of 32x38 px, so I guess this (plus the necessity to adapt in some way the mouse movement to find out bad files) is enough to dump the game and keep it as Flash only Sad
Depending on the game, options include:
making them bigger,
making the entire field bigger and allowing the player to scroll and zoom,
detecting unambiguous taps just outside the icons and treating them as if the player had tapped on the icon.

These kinds of changes may require tuning or even changing the gameplay. But that's typical when porting to a mobile device. I really don't see that its that big of a deal, particularly since you describe the flash version as a prototype.

I recently changed my game from perspective view to isometric view for these kinds of reasons. It's painful when you thought a game was almost done, but in retrospect not a huge deal, and its the difference between a game that feels rushed and/or ported versus a game that "feels right" on the platform.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
The icons in some of Apple's own controls are definitely smaller than 44x44. See the UIToolbar, for instance. They're 32x32, and the visible portion is typically smaller than that.

Also, you would probably have to remake the graphics in two scales anyway. First 32x38 would work for 3rd generation and earlier devices (except the iPad). Then you'd need some 64x76 variants for the 4th generation displays and iPad.

In short: Your current graphics probably have a *perfect* size for iPhone 3GS and earlier Smile
Apprentice
(Dec 6, 2010 04:46 AM)MattDiamond Wrote:  These kinds of changes may require tuning or even changing the gameplay. But that's typical when porting to a mobile device. I really don't see that its that big of a deal, particularly since you describe the flash version as a prototype.

I know, and I partially agree, but I have limited resources and my idea of "public prototype" is more like the flash game is a simplified version of the full game (less levels, less features) than a simple experiment of new gameplay.
If I need to totally change the game to make it work on a mobile device, then I move to the next concept and try again.

(Dec 6, 2010 06:15 AM)gnurf Wrote:  The icons in some of Apple's own controls are definitely smaller than 44x44. See the UIToolbar, for instance. They're 32x32, and the visible portion is typically smaller than that.
Good to know Smile

(Dec 6, 2010 06:15 AM)gnurf Wrote:  Also, you would probably have to remake the graphics in two scales anyway. First 32x38 would work for 3rd generation and earlier devices (except the iPad). Then you'd need some 64x76 variants for the 4th generation displays and iPad.
I'm not sure I should make bigger graphics for the iPad.
I can play on my 22" and it looks fine in the 640x480 canvas, the iPad resolution is 1024x768, so not much bigger, so I think a game like this should have bigger levels more than bigger graphics.
(Dec 8, 2010 05:39 AM)m3xican Wrote:  I'm not sure I should make bigger graphics for the iPad.
I can play on my 22" and it looks fine in the 640x480 canvas, the iPad resolution is 1024x768, so not much bigger, so I think a game like this should have bigger levels more than bigger graphics.

Well, there's more to it than that. The iPhone 4's screen has a much higher pixel density, so if you plan on supporting it you want the images at a higher resolution in order to have it "appear" the same size.

Alex
I think games with just the right amount of simplicity and charm to them do excellently for this market, however one important thing users browse for when making a purchase is if the game looks professionally done. And that means having some excellent art. I love the idea you have here but perhaps you could look at including some excellent art either as background or for the game objects themselves. Best of luck!

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com
Apprentice
(Dec 8, 2010 12:18 PM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  Well, there's more to it than that. The iPhone 4's screen has a much higher pixel density, so if you plan on supporting it you want the images at a higher resolution in order to have it "appear" the same size.

I see now, thank you for the explanation!
Apprentice
(Dec 9, 2010 08:57 AM)HMaudio Wrote:  I think games with just the right amount of simplicity and charm to them do excellently for this market, however one important thing users browse for when making a purchase is if the game looks professionally done. And that means having some excellent art. I love the idea you have here but perhaps you could look at including some excellent art either as background or for the game objects themselves. Best of luck!

I do agree, an iPhone version should have more and better graphics, and probably the backgrounds are the less inspired part of the whole game, but for a flash game they are not too bad. Rasp

Thank you for the feedback Wink