Establishing salary guidelines - Updated

Nibbie
1. What do you think the percentage of your salary is in relation to your company's gross?
2. And your profit sharing percentage?

I brought the above questions up to make people think about their present working situation and to show that there are other alternatives, either as a full-time position or part-time?
Sometimes we settle into the status quo without ever exploring other options. Maybe we are lucky enough to make a good living, so why look, but maybe we are not living up to our full potential. This is why I want to encourage people to visit: http://www.whatareyourideas.com and help form an idea from your experiences. This is where you can make this idea yours and maybe join others who want a more secure future.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
This is kind of meaningless, since it's entirely related to the number of employees at the company...
Nibbie
If your working for such a large company that you can't figure it out, then rest assured your percentage is low. So I guess for you this is meaningless...lighten up OneSadCookie. For others, it's not a scientific survey it's just meant to get an overall feel on how people feel they are being valued.
Luminary
For everyone it's meaningless, since if their company takes on another employee, their "worth" will go down, and if somebody leaves their "worth" will go up. The only thing that matters at all is the absolute value of the compensation...
Its more than worthless, it's dangerous to your own morale to obsess on things like this. I've spent a lot of years as both employee and employer and I can tell you that the the hidden costs that employees don't see are staggering.

Also, the company has to keep a lot of its money in the company bank account. 25% in UK and that's before you start going on about all the various taxes and stuff.

You'd expect the percentage to be larger and more relevant the smaller the company, so I have a good example for you how even this will throw you off.

My current firm only has two directors (both coders) and one employee atm and the employee gets only about 10% of the money we take in, if that. And sometimes he goes home at the end of the month with more than I do.

Paul Johnson
Great Little War Game
Last summer I worked as an Intern for Munera, LLC. (Just another iPhone startup). There I wrote two servers for them (one in J2EE and one in RoR) that their business would not have worked without. They also let me code on the iPhone some, which was more fun. Smile

My worth? I ran their whole development portal (Redmine) and administered their code repositories. I was completely indispensable to their operation while I was there. I freed up my direct boss to work on actual programming, instead of fretting about such nonsense like whether the SSH keys were secured.

Measure your worth by what you bring to your project, not by what you're paid. If you're paid well enough to pay your bills and maybe buy yourself a few toys, then you're just fine. You should be doing what you love, and the pay should just be gravy.

Besides, information like other people's salaries and company total gross income is private. You really shouldn't be messing around with those numbers unless you have permission.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError