In the beginning

Apprentice
Heya, I am a web designer by trade and am looking at getting into mobile game development, and want to start by creating a simulation game with 8bit style graphics.

About 7 years ago I used to create RTS, Adventure & RPG games in game maker (I'm sure some of you know it) which is the reason I became a web designer now I'm getting back to my roots, GAMES!

I have read through the information on this site about starting out and am quite excited about creating a game again, and would welcome any advice anyone had about developing or learning to develop for the iPhone platform.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Ninja
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Also, I am keeping a blog about what I am doing here http://toonbit.tumblr.com/

I see dead pixels
Sage
For most games the automatic answer would be to start by learning OpenGL, but from the look of the concept shots you have you'd probably be better off just using the normal Cocoa UI library.

In that case, I'd just say to jump right in with a book on iPhone programming. In the past, Orielly's books on Cocoa programming for the Mac have been pretty good. I'd imagine that their iPhone ones would be similarly high quality. Any good book on iPhone programming should teach you a little about Objective-C, but you really need a good basis in C programming first.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Apprentice
Thanks,

It is essentially a one room game objects are upgraded and backgrounds/objects are changed based upon the level of the upgrade, so would just be sprite switching for the screen render, do you think OpenGL would not be best for this?

I have experience in C++(beginner), PHP(intermediate), Visual Basic (ewww), but not Obj C. or C for that matter.
Will check out some of Orielly's books.

I see dead pixels
Sage
OpenGL would be a little overkill I think. The normal GUI stuff is hardware accelerated, so the drawing is reasonably quick. You can easily get 30 fps out if it for simple stuff, and your game doesn't strike me as the type that is going to demand high framerates or hundreds of sprites. It looks like your game is going to be GUI heavy instead.

The advantage of using the built in GUI stuff is that it's easier to load and display images and respond to events. Using OpenGL is a must if you need 60 fps with tons of sprites and particle effects. Cocos2D is pretty popular and hides the complexity of loading and displaying sprites using GL, but doesn't do much in terms GUIs.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Apprentice
Thanks Skorche, you have been a great help, It's great talking to someone that knows what they are talking about.

Yup frame-rates are not really going to be an issue, and there will be nowhere near that many sprites Smile will look at using the Cocoa UI library for the game, when I do get to the programming stage.

I watched the WWDC 2010 Session videos and they talk about UI Kit in the Quest game, is this in the Cocoa UI library?

I see dead pixels
looks like Game Dev Story >_>
Apprentice
(Feb 13, 2011 11:51 AM)skyhawk Wrote:  looks like Game Dev Story >_>

Will check it out Smile

I was thinking kinda like theme hospital / sims / alphacenturi kinda backbone

I see dead pixels
Apprentice
It's been a while now Grin

I have been learning to code, have found cocos2d easier to learn for myself.

Also @ sykhawk, I found the game outlook to be similar to Game Dev Story, so I have adapted the idea into being about a purple octopus in space, see the draft sketch file here:

[Image: draftgraphics.png]

I see dead pixels

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Win a copy of: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK @iOS_blog 0 3,148 Oct 1, 2011 04:23 AM
Last Post: @iOS_blog
  Beginning Iphone game development collision lunayo 0 3,750 Oct 8, 2010 11:43 AM
Last Post: lunayo
  Advancing Text for Credits like in the beginning of a Star Wars Movie Bersaelor 1 2,755 Jan 5, 2010 02:07 PM
Last Post: SethWillits