how did you promote your game as an Indie developer?

My game which is almost finished is a puzzle/arcade/educational combination, it doesn't really fit any mold.
Also I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on advertising in advance.
Say, with 100 dollars for ads, where should it go?
Quote this message in a reply
Depends on the price and what you're trying to accomplish. If you have a $1 or $2 game you'll rarely come out ahead with ads.

A $100 budget won't really get you much regardless - better to hit up popular websites for a review and get friendly on forums/twitter/youtube/facebook.
I'm not clear yet on the process, in order to give out beta testing versions to reviewers, etc, do I need to submit my game to the app store first?
Sage
If it's for the iPhone yes, if it's for the Mac then is there any reason why you can't just send reviewers a beta?

Also, our experience with ads is that you are just throwing your money in the trash.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
What I'd do with a $100 ad budget - one of these things:
-Buy a console/computer game or two
-Buy many mobile games
-Buy any of the useful content creation tools I need
-Buy any of the instruments on my wish list
-Buy a good meal at a restaurant
-Buy a new board game or two
-Expand my card game collection
-Get another external hard drive
-Upgrade my laptop hard drive
-Save it for emergencies
Sage
In other words, spend your $100 on something that isn't advertising. Rasp

In the appstore age, nobody really looks at ads that aren't on the appstore itself and you can't buy those. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
cool that makes it simpler Smile
I'm going to make an app facebook page anyway and share it with all my friends to get the ball rolling.
Agree with what others have said. Save your money for yourself and just do everything you can which is free like the Facebook page. One tip - when you email review sites don't just send them a generic press release. By all means include the press release but write a different email for each site. They get so many review requests each day that they'll often just ignore bulk emails unless they are about a known title.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
(Apr 28, 2011 05:53 PM)MattDiamond Wrote:  http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelRose/2...e_Game.php

do people actually read these specialized gaming sites before making a .99 purchase?
I might not be a great app consumer, but I usually go with what blogs I usually read, which are not focused on gaming, recommend as deals and cool apps, also by searching iTunes and simply through word of mouth.
As for reviews, I just read the user reviews in iTunes.
Reading the articles, I gathered the chance of a game even being picked up for review by a dedicated gaming site is pretty slim.
(May 23, 2011 10:13 AM)aerospaceman Wrote:  
(Apr 28, 2011 05:53 PM)MattDiamond Wrote:  http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelRose/2...e_Game.php

do people actually read these specialized gaming sites before making a .99 purchase?
I might not be a great app consumer, but I usually go with what blogs I usually read, which are not focused on gaming, recommend as deals and cool apps, also by searching iTunes and simply through word of mouth.
As for reviews, I just read the user reviews in iTunes.
Reading the articles, I gathered the chance of a game even being picked up for review by a dedicated gaming site is pretty slim.

All correct points. But consider, you may not have read about the game on one of those sites, but where are you getting word of mouth from? The person who wrote a good review of the game- where did he first hear of the game? For that matter, the more a dedicated iOS game review site hears about your game, the more likely they'll start covering it themselves.

You are trying to get a toehold in a very crowded field. I don't think there's just one way to do it, but it's not easy.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Nibbie
You can use not only facebook, use Twitter too and a lot of other social nets. Follow more and more people every day and let them know about your game!
Nibbie
Well I recently made a website for advertising games, I use Anoox and some other free website for advertising anyway ruingames.weebly.com

Cool
Nibbie
It is always good to have an official webpage for your apps and a forum. Also sometimes it depends on the time of year your apps get released. My app development site is at snatco . com
Nibbie
I've been running into difficulties advertising as well... I've tried paying for ads on websites but they barely get me any extra downloads. I'm working on taking the advice from people above, really focusing on using social media. It's still tough to get that base following though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Here is Tricks for Mobile App Developers to Promote Their Apps kevinvwallace 0 1,004 Dec 16, 2013 11:33 PM
Last Post: kevinvwallace
  developer for a new game idea josze 1 5,700 Oct 15, 2012 07:52 PM
Last Post: izdane
  Interview with a ios game developer App-Pro 0 2,501 May 28, 2012 03:29 PM
Last Post: App-Pro
  Where do I find an iPod game developer for hire? WriterRick 5 5,641 Apr 2, 2009 08:54 PM
Last Post: Ingemar