how did you promote your game as an Indie developer?

Apprentice
One thing we discovered a bit late is that its best to get your game promoted the moment you have a playable demo. in the last 1 month of promotion we tried, we haven't managed to get a buzz.
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
It's just in the APP Smile
Nibbie
Hi. I want to tell you my story about my game. I thought, that my game will be success, cause i did posts on different game forums, but it is not true. Now, i have no yet 100$ for promote my game and i don't known, what i will do for increase purchases. I read, that iOS development dead, but i don't believe it... May be demo game and in-app purchases is really good for promote, i don't checked it.
If you interesting, that my game http://svinthegame.wix.com/home , but cute pig is not helping to increase downloads.
Thanks all.
Nibbie
These are all great and useful suggestions, tips, and links. Thanks
Nibbie
Usually people use mobile advertising platforms to promote their games. The questions Indie developers to ask themselves when they choose a platform is:
- Which one promotes your app most effectively?
- Which one costs you the least?
- Which one has the a reliable, smooth, quick payment process?

For those all questions I would recommend Adsota and Admob. Admob is very popular but it cost you much more than adsota. I still use Adsota today and you can find it by googling "ads.appota"
Nibbie
I enjoy playing and promoting indie iOS games just for fun via YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. I think developers are under appreciated for the work that they do and want to shine a light on as many as possible.
Apprentice
Agree with what others have said. Save your money for yourself and just do everything you can which is free like the Facebook page. One tip - when you email review sites don't just send them a generic press release. By all means include the press release but write a different email for each site. They get so many review requests each day that they'll often just ignore bulk emails unless they are about a known title.
Apprentice
More than ads, you can actually promote your app, as a person, not as a company, Talk about it on social media groups, forums, let people know about a nice product you believe in. It's rare these days to see anything that looks genuine, so, try it.
If you really want to invest on ads, try Facebook. They're cheap, they're easy to manage and target your audience, and they work.

I work with Guarana, a known development company, and still bet on just talking about products to people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Here is Tricks for Mobile App Developers to Promote Their Apps kevinvwallace 0 2,467 Dec 16, 2013 11:33 PM
Last Post: kevinvwallace
  developer for a new game idea josze 1 6,902 Oct 15, 2012 07:52 PM
Last Post: izdane
  Interview with a ios game developer App-Pro 0 3,356 May 28, 2012 03:29 PM
Last Post: App-Pro
  Where do I find an iPod game developer for hire? WriterRick 5 7,534 Apr 2, 2009 08:54 PM
Last Post: Ingemar