Idea Needed - Mech Game

Hello All,
I've been playing around with OpenGL, OpenAL, etc. I (like many here) have always wanted to make a game.

I got some models from http://www.3drt.com I got some mechs walking around in a little city....

... but I have no idea about a story, game name, levels and what the point of all of this is Smile

Any ideas?

Here is a screen shot:
[Image: SNUUU.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Humans have evolved to become little more than brains (ala krang from TMNT), and as such, required to be placed inside fully mobile mechanical robots to give them the freedom to continue pursuing the outer galaxies, and conquering THE NINJA TURTLES (or the far reaches of space)
⌘-R in Chief
I could make up some things, but I'm not as creative as others. So far it looks nice. Smile
(May 18, 2011 04:31 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  I could make up some things, but I'm not as creative as others. So far it looks nice. Smile

Any ideas? Even a name would help Smile

One of the best things about a game like "Halo" is that it's not called "space marines vs. aliens"
⌘-R in Chief
MEGA MECH MANIA 3000
Luminary
http://cdn.gamefront.com/wp-content/uplo...tfinal.jpg
So,

Are you in a hurry? No, or you wouldn't be posting here over several days.
Is it Japanese? No, "carmine" can't be Japanese.
Is it a fantasy game? No.
Is it a sequel? No.
Is it about two people teaming up? No. At least, not from the screenshot you posted. Could change.
Is it a sci-fi game? Yes, definitely.
Use a single word that could pass off as the name of a heavy metal band. Hmm... How about Technetium?
Does it sorta make sense? No, not really.
Slap it on the box!

Now all you need is a backstory to explain how an artificial element used for radioactive tracing in medicine relates to giant mechs!
(May 19, 2011 03:20 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  http://cdn.gamefront.com/wp-content/uplo...tfinal.jpg
So,

Are you in a hurry? No, or you wouldn't be posting here over several days.
Is it Japanese? No, "carmine" can't be Japanese.
Is it a fantasy game? No.
Is it a sequel? No.
Is it about two people teaming up? No. At least, not from the screenshot you posted. Could change.
Is it a sci-fi game? Yes, definitely.
Use a single word that could pass off as the name of a heavy metal band. Hmm... How about Technetium?
Does it sorta make sense? No, not really.
Slap it on the box!

Now all you need is a backstory to explain how an artificial element used for radioactive tracing in medicine relates to giant mechs!

Hah ya know what's funny is at first I was like "Technetium" is a pretty plausible game name... let me google for it.. then.. damnit there is a game company called Technetium Games

http://www.technetiumgames.com/
This is rather silly but occasionally comes up with nice names:
http://videogamena.me/
Apprentice
How about a mech game that wasn't focussed on combat?

I've always found mechs fun and fascinating, but I've never played a mech game. The idea of using mechs for combat is exciting, but somewhat absurd. Any battle fought with them would be short and one-sided, at least until the other side acquired some portable missile launchers. Like most military machinery, they represent concentrated targets, only more-so: the most elaborate, expensive machine you could imagine, put right up in harm's way.

So you can either play that up, mitigate it, outright ignore it, or avoid it.

How much do you want to focus on the world in which the game takes place? You could try to find a motivation for why an economy might produce giant robotic vehicles. I remember in Robotech there was some narrative sense to it, even though the logic was inverted, because the enemy were giant people. (There was no clear reason why the enemy themselves rode around in walking robots, though, besides looking interesting.) I guess the Avatar motivation was similar.

Humanoid and animal forms are attractive because we understand them and they resonate with our subconscious, so if you can combine that with a semi-reasonable excuse for why a society would invest in building them, you would have the makings of a compelling scenario.

There are at least two reasons I could think of. The obvious one is work in hostile environments, especially those not suited to either wheeled vehicles or paving. They can navigate difficult terrain, endure high gravitational fields, and manipulate strangely shaped, extremely large or heavy objects in ways too awkward for conventional industrial machines and vehicles.

The other reason is aesthetic. A culture which evolved in this way due to some strange belief system. And extremely wealthy, enough to afford the materials and energy to make these robots.

You can mitigate the problems with mech warfare by inventing things that would protect the mechs and make it less likely for them all to be destroyed in a very short time. Or perhaps the world in which they operate is already extremely unequal: only one political faction has them, and they oppress everyone else. Or maybe all the other machinery was destroyed in an ongoing slow war, and mechs are all that is left: militarized industrial machines.

Every game needs a setting, although for practical purposes it may not matter whether the game is set on Earth somewhere, or on another planet in our solar system or another one. A future where interplanetary travel is common also predicates access to more energy resources (good old fusion power, or something more exotic) to power spacecraft (and factories), which, miniaturized, would also power the mechs.

Then you need to find characters and motivation for them and your player. Why am I riding around in this gigantic robot? Why am I fighting this other robot, or doing this industrial work, or exploring this strange, high-gravity world, or this dark, dangerous underground world, etc.

Of course, you could simply throw all that in the bin, and just make an aesthetically pleasing, utterly storyless combat game like this one: Hawken.
Mechs are big. Mechs fighting mechs is the same size ratio as ants fighting ants. As long as you look big and feel big and walk around crushing zombies, I'd buy it!

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com
Hey Everyone,
I got some animation going.. these are some little walker guys...

Screenshot
[Image: wZr5F.jpg]

The walker thing is from here:
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/mech-...-shots.htm

I've doing all of the OpenGL coding myself (no game libs, makers, etc.) it's fun .... when it works Smile
any chance of adding shadowing?
(Jun 7, 2011 01:03 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  any chance of adding shadowing?

Is there something in openGL to do that (for me) ?
Luminary
Hello All,
So now I got these little guys walking around kind of randomly.

I still need to do a bunch of stuff like collision detection (so they don't go through buildings) Smile and I need to figure out what the heck I'm doing exactly.. but anyway... check it out.

I also added some fog... it's starting to kind of look like something Smile

[Image: VVgW2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Idea - "Dreamscape" soundguru 5 8,537 Dec 18, 2011 05:13 PM
Last Post: ipeku
  idea needed daniele.p 13 11,497 Nov 19, 2011 10:44 AM
Last Post: fugufish
  Game Idea Wiki Proposal mikey 9 6,626 Jul 22, 2009 10:05 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  A CRAZY game idea! stevejohnson 12 8,115 Jan 28, 2006 04:55 AM