uDevGames 2011

(Jun 5, 2011 10:30 PM)KittyMac Wrote:  
(Jun 5, 2011 06:39 PM)ugriffin Wrote:  we can easily create something beautiful within the confines of 2 months, leaving the other two months void of activity (except for feedback and polishing I guess).

I found past uDevGames to be a great outlet for testing out new ideas. You could view uDG as an opportunity to do something completely different. Perhaps a completely different genre of game? Perhaps pushing your dev platform in ways yet unexplored?

Push Game Maker in ways yet unexplored? Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
(Jun 5, 2011 10:41 AM)DoG Wrote:  As for hosting, setting a size limit for binaries hosted on the uDG site seems reasonable enough, so make people who want bigger binaries host themselves.

I still think a max size should be enforced, whether or not bandwidth is available as a large download is a pain for players and working to a limit is good practice for devs (if 50mb is good enough for an XBLA game with HD content, it's plenty for a Mac game). It also stops it being a situation where wealthier devs who can afford the bandwidth can make huge sloppily coded binaries and everyone else is limited on the 'free' bandwidth option.
Founder
There was mention of GIT use.
Various tutorials you might want to link to:
http://sixrevisions.com/resources/git-tu...beginners/

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Apprentice
Would I be allowed to play around with some ideas before July 1st or do I have to wait till then?
The rules don't seem to mention this, except maybe #4
Rules of Eligibility Wrote:Entries with screenshots, movies, or any playable form (i.e. beta, demo, release, etc), released to the public or outside testers before July 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM GMT are ineligible.

McSpider
Yes, as long as you follow the rules =)
(Jun 8, 2011 11:35 AM)McSpider Wrote:  Would I be allowed to play around with some ideas before July 1st or do I have to wait till then?

In past years, the consensus was that working privately on your game prior to the contest is OK. It would be impossible to enforce a rule that no work of any kind could happen before the start date; you just need to not publicly post screenshots, movies, or playables before then. One could say it's more in the spirit of the contest to wait. Personally, I'll usually do a little bit of design work and maybe try to solve some specific technical challenges I know I have ahead of me, but I won't write any game-specific code until the contest starts.
Apprentice
(Jun 8, 2011 12:32 PM)ThemsAllTook Wrote:  In past years, the consensus was that working privately on your game prior to the contest is OK. It would be impossible to enforce a rule that no work of any kind could happen before the start date; you just need to not publicly post screenshots, movies, or playables before then. One could say it's more in the spirit of the contest to wait. Personally, I'll usually do a little bit of design work and maybe try to solve some specific technical challenges I know I have ahead of me, but I won't write any game-specific code until the contest starts.

Good, then I haven't broken any rules yet. Smile

McSpider
Oooooh! Haven't been around here in ages, so to find that uDG 2011 is about to start is very exciting! Need to get my ideas in order and come up with something concrete to work on...
The best thing about uDevGames is all the people who come out of the woodwork!
Alex
(Jun 15, 2011 09:51 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  The best thing about uDevGames is all the people who come out of the woodwork!
Alex

Helloooooooooo Wink

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
(Jun 18, 2011 04:42 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  
(Jun 15, 2011 09:51 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  The best thing about uDevGames is all the people who come out of the woodwork!
Alex

Helloooooooooo Wink

Damn, should I even enter? Rasp. You should mention it in your podcast!
Alex
(Jun 19, 2011 10:42 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  
(Jun 18, 2011 04:42 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  
Alex

Helloooooooooo Wink

Damn, should I even enter? Rasp. You should mention it in your podcast!
Alex

Hahaha well I may only be able to enter this year as like an exhibition or something. I have a non-compete clause nowadays that prevents me from releasing code for quite some time Annoyed I still want to make something, but I may have to just let myself be disqualified in the end. Hell, may use that to try a something a little more off the wall this year Smile

And of course it's gonna get some love on the podcast! Out of the dozen or so games I've had a hand in now, the ones I made for uDevGames and 21 Days Later are the games I've been most proud of.

Justin Ficarrotta
⌘-R in Chief
Well that's a major bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing what you came up with next. Sad
(Jun 22, 2011 05:28 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  Well that's a major bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing what you came up with next. Sad

Mild Manner Wayne Bruce's Lemonade stand was not doing so hot. So he pulls out his machine gun that shoots flowers and hippi-fies the town.
(Jun 19, 2011 06:45 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  Hahaha well I may only be able to enter this year as like an exhibition or something. Blah blah blah waffling

Scratch this whole paragraph. In a bizarre twist of fate, I just so happened to get fired this week. So let's get it on!

Justin Ficarrotta