Match Panic - The "it's not a match 3" matching game

I'm happy to announce my latest iOS game "Match Panic" is now available on the App Store.

Here's a vid:

And here's the web page: http://www.chaoticbox.com/matchpanic.php

I know I only seem to come around when I'm pimping my apps but I promise I'm lurking the rest of the time Rasp

Cheers!
Quote this message in a reply
Looks pretty awesome Frank! I like how all the characters have faces on them. I bet that helps with sales. The icon is pretty good too, think you can catch some of the 'big-pixel' tig-source crowd?

[Image: iconleftnav.png]

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Thanks Andy! It's definitely getting some love from retro/pixel art fans Smile
Good call on changing the thread title - when I first looked at this, I thought "ugh, not another damn match-3-colors game". Then I watched the video and it was quite a bit more awesome than that. Looks like a lot of fun! Congrats on the release!
Awesome work Frank. I almost went into a trance like state playing on the train this morning. Managed to unlock the Sasquatch in the process!
Just bought and played this. Stupendous! The level of polish is way beyond what I was expecting. Honestly, the $1 seems like it undervalues it - this is easily a $3 game or more.
What a crazy world we live in where saying someone's work is worth three dollars is a genuine and honest complement!

(seriously though, looking great, and I know Alex meant it as a complement- just commenting again on the state of iOS software sales)

(Twilight Golf is currently a 2-dollar game, although most people think it should be free)

(Jun 10, 2011 10:57 AM)AndyKorth Wrote:  What a crazy world we live in where saying someone's work is worth three dollars is a genuine and honest complement!

LOL Was thinking the same thing Wink

Silverfish is my only "high-end" game at $1.99 (was $2.99 for a bit). You might get a away with a 3 dollar game on iPad but honestly I won't release an iPhone/iPod game for over 99¢ anymore. I won't put more than 2 months work into them either.
Brilliant! Nice work
(Jun 10, 2011 11:08 AM)Frank C. Wrote:  Silverfish is my only "high-end" game at $1.99 (was $2.99 for a bit). You might get a away with a 3 dollar game on iPad but honestly I won't release an iPhone/iPod game for over 99¢ anymore. I won't put more than 2 months work into them either.

I'm right with you on that! From my perspective, it's a real tough way to earn income, but those royalty checks are addictive, even if they're small LOL

BTW, I turned another one of my friends onto Silverfish yesterday. It's one of my favorite games on iOS!

Good luck with Match Panic Smile
(Jun 10, 2011 11:54 PM)AnotherJake Wrote:  I'm right with you on that! From my perspective, it's a real tough way to earn income, but those royalty checks are addictive, even if they're small LOL

Ya, it's always nice when any amount of money magically appears in your bank account Wink

But "tough" is an understatement. Match Panic is my worst launch by far despite universal praise by users and reviewers - a first for me. Completely buried in less than 2 days and no love from Apple (Yet? One can hope Wacko). Fingers crossed for some higher profile reviews/mentions next week, but it's impossible to justify making these games as anything but a hobby Annoyed
I'm really sorry to hear it's not working out as well as expected. This is a funny business where some things sell like hot cakes and others, ... like cold cakes? Those are delicious too but never get the attention.

Perhaps it's a hobby, but I think in your case if you keep producing these types of games you'll likely garner attention if not from a loyal fan base then perhaps a company looking to hire talent.

Best of luck!

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com
I'm in the cold-cake business. \o/

Any improvement yet, Frank?

(Jun 27, 2011 11:39 AM)HMaudio Wrote:  I'm really sorry to hear it's not working out as well as expected.

Although it technically still was my worst launch things did turn around after the first week Wink Apple featured Match Panic in "New & Noteworthy" and a couple other sections two Thursdays ago. That pushed out a good 4K copies for the week. Things dropped significantly this past Thursday when those features ended, but it's now in the "What's Hot" section and still bringing in respectable numbers (but quickly falling in the charts).

I was real happy to see those features, but at 99¢ a pop it's still a ways off from my "break even" point. I'm hopeful it'll sell enough over the next few months to at least have been worth the effort, but the numbers you have to sell at 99¢ to be profitable are INSANE.

I still have massive concerns with the App Store, and this experience just reinforced those. Despite the Apple features and a solid 5 star user rating the game failed to hit the Top 100 Games in the USA, and just barely scratched the Top 200 apps (chart). If a game with high user praise and heavy Apple features can't crack the Top 100 games then I'm out of ideas. Once the "What's Hot" feature ends I can easily see Match Panic hanging out with my other games averaging just a few sales a day. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but I've seen this pattern all too often.
(Jun 27, 2011 12:51 PM)Frank C. Wrote:  If a game with high user praise and heavy Apple features can't crack the Top 100 games then I'm out of ideas.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not just about a great game with a great reception (although those are a big help) - it's all about luck. Some things just take off with no easily discernible reason why.

I think the possibility that you can crack that critical mass and become huge is what keeps everyone trying! And it is still possible, as shown by recent indie successes like Tiny Wings.

Hope this one has a bit of a long tail for you Frank!