Match Panic - The "it's not a match 3" matching game

(Jun 27, 2011 12:51 PM)Frank C. Wrote:  Once the "What's Hot" feature ends I can easily see Match Panic hanging out with my other games averaging just a few sales a day. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but I've seen this pattern all too often.

That's the same pattern we see as well, and our games aren't even as good as yours. Yikes!

I currently have no plans to leave Apple platforms entirely, but because of their ham-fisted abuse of the marketplace and the developers surrounding their products and operating systems, I have no choice but to look elsewhere for income which doesn't force me to rely on $.99 unit prices. As a result, in the last year I've put a lot of effort into learning and developing cross-platform compatible code and techniques, so I can reach out to explore opportunities in other marketplaces which maybe aren't so rigged in favor of the phenomenon known as "the price race to the bottom".

I'll still keep taking random stabs at iOS and MacOS in hopes that something will come out of it. Who knows? But for my serious endeavors, Apple looks logically far too risky to develop for right now. It used to be big fish in little pond, but now it's little fish in big pond and Apple seems to be draining the water out of it for some unknown reason, which can only be assumed to be some combination of either myopia at the leadership level or pure greed. It's a new reality surrounding my favorite computing platform for all this time, which is hard to comprehend and accept.

monteboyd Wrote:I think the possibility that you can crack that critical mass and become huge is what keeps everyone trying!

No doubt about that! It's like some kind of bizarre gambling addiction where we are willing to risk multiple man-months of hard labor for an overwhelming likely outcome of suffering a loss.
Quote this message in a reply
(Jun 27, 2011 04:32 PM)monteboyd Wrote:  I think the possibility that you can crack that critical mass and become huge is what keeps everyone trying! And it is still possible, as shown by recent indie successes like Tiny Wings.

Ya this has become a vice that's for sure Wacko

But Tiny Wings is a complete anomaly. Before it hit the top ten it went from around 150 in the arcade charts to the top 50 overall in one day - with no publisher, no press, and no features - shit like that just doesn't happen!
It seems like a lot of the top 10 apps were mystical anomalies. Some sort of flash-mob / sudden viral outbreak drives them to the top.

Winning the lottery is an anomaly of the same sort, I think. And people keep trying at that!

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
(Jun 27, 2011 07:43 PM)Frank C. Wrote:  But Tiny Wings is a complete anomaly. Before it hit the top ten it went from around 150 in the arcade charts to the top 50 overall in one day - with no publisher, no press, and no features - shit like that just doesn't happen!

Now that I think about it you're right - it is a complete anomaly. When I wrote that post I was thinking there were other recent indie examples that were successful that I couldn't remember off the top of my head. But now I'm not so sure - I can't think of any other recent ones.
(Jun 27, 2011 09:10 PM)AndyKorth Wrote:  It seems like a lot of the top 10 apps were mystical anomalies. Some sort of flash-mob / sudden viral outbreak drives them to the top.

There are definitely a few weird cases but many top apps were backed by traditional marketing and/or had some sort of trigger - an Apple feature, well timed reviews on big websites etc.

There are also tons of apps in the top 200 that get there using incentivised/paid download schemes Annoyed
(Jun 27, 2011 10:16 PM)Frank C. Wrote:  
(Jun 27, 2011 09:10 PM)AndyKorth Wrote:  It seems like a lot of the top 10 apps were mystical anomalies. Some sort of flash-mob / sudden viral outbreak drives them to the top.

There are definitely a few weird cases but many top apps were backed by traditional marketing and/or had some sort of trigger - an Apple feature, well timed reviews on big websites etc.

There are also tons of apps in the top 200 that get there using incentivised/paid download schemes Annoyed
business is not always honest.
YOU DON'T GET TO 15,000,000 DOWNLOADS WITHOUT STEPPING ON A FEW FACES!
I'm not sure if you already knew this, but you were mentioned by EDGE:

Quote:@edgeonline: It seems simple, but this iOS gem feeds your arrogance back to you, piece by delicious piece - our Match Panic review: http://bit.ly/l6umju

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
My Google Alerts found that Edge review yesterday - was a very nice surprise! Also seems to have kicked up a few more sales in the UK Smile