Ultra Troopers [uDG 2011]

Hey everyone, I just wanted to start a WIP thread for my entry for some early feedback. Not much of a game so far, but feedback is always appreciated. Smile

Ultra Troopers test 2
Ultra Troopers test 2 (32bit Version)
(Note: graphics are placeholders)

Game Help:
Player 1 - a,s,w,d & t
Player 2 - up,down,left,right & p

Game Info:
IDE: XCode 4
Code: Obj-C, Cocos2D, Chipmunk 6.0
Genre: Action/Arcade
Goal: A modernized combination of Smash T.V./Robotron/Gauntlet
Quote this message in a reply
It won't run on my Mac (Core Duo MBP). I guess it's 64-bit only?
Looking good from here. I noticed that when I was moving on one axis, sometimes I'd press a key to move on the other axis and there was a delay before my character started moving. Looking closer, it seems they're constrained to a grid? Not necessarily a problem, I was just expecting free movement and it took me a bit to figure out why I wasn't quite getting it. The original Legend of Zelda was like this, but it allowed you to move one pixel at a time and stop in between two grid positions.

If I'm moving left and I press right without releasing left, I kind of expect to move right instead of stopping. In other words, the latest direction pressed would take precedence over the previous ones. Might make it feel a bit smoother if you want to turn around but aren't too quick about releasing your previous movement key.
@maximile
Sorry about that, I'll build a 32bit version on my next update.

@ThemsAllTook
You're correct, right now the characters are tied to a grid. I think i will get rid of that in favor of free movement. Also, right now I have the inputs cancel each other out (i.e. right = dx+MOVE_STEP,left = dx-MOVE_STEP). It's definitely important for the control to be smooth, so I'll fix that too.
Thanks for your input!
Updated for test build 2:
(See links in first post)
  • Collision thanks to Chipmunk Physics
  • Players can shoot
  • Basic camera
  • Tile Maps
  • Basic Level loading

Let me know what you guys think!
Sage
I would recommend making your characters be circles instead of little boxes. The biggest reason is that they won't get caught on the seams in your tilemap. The other reason is that it makes for nice smooth collisions with corners. This is especially nice when running down corridors.

How do you shoot? I tried mashing a lot of buttons and the mouse, but nothing seemed to work.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
(Jul 16, 2011 09:04 AM)Skorche Wrote:  I would recommend making your characters be circles instead of little boxes. The biggest reason is that they won't get caught on the seams in your tilemap. The other reason is that it makes for nice smooth collisions with corners. This is especially nice when running down corridors.
Thanks for the advice, will do!

(Jul 16, 2011 09:04 AM)Skorche Wrote:  How do you shoot? I tried mashing a lot of buttons and the mouse, but nothing seemed to work.
't' for player 1
'p' for player 2
I know the keys are kinda strange for now, I'll have a better configuration next build. Ideally, I want to be able to use a USB controller as an option, and I'm currently working with an Xbox 360 Controller.
[Image: SampleEntryBanner.png]

Final Build for competition: http://ultra-troopers-x.googlecode.com/f....3.app.zip

keys:
P1 a,s,d,w and f
P2 arrows and "."

Didn't get as much of the game done as I'd have liked to, but there it is. Grin

[Edit]
Guess I was a little too late.. looks like I got the axe Sad
You'll need to talk with seth to get your entry back into the contest, since it looks like you missed the deadline.
(Oct 2, 2011 05:22 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  You'll need to talk with seth to get your entry back into the contest, since it looks like you missed the deadline.

If it's possible for me to enter it in again, that'd be cool. Although, I understand if he's unable to.
⌘-R in Chief
If find the red guys to be pretty tough. You can't run away from them because they move at the same speed, and when they start to push you it becomes harder to shoot and sometimes you can't hit them so it ends really badly. Have you tried tweaking them to make them slightly slower than the player so if I need to I can run away?

Why is it that the particle effect for bullets after they've travelled to their full distance shoots back in the direction it came from? It looks strange to me. Kinda like shooting in a really strong headwind. I'd expect that they'd leave a vapor trail along the way and maybe a slow poof continuing on in the direction the bullet was going.

Full screen (kinda like Your Story does it where it's not necessarily _full_ screen) would be nice.
Thanks for the reply Seth, I did a little bit of balancing to the red guys. If I can get around to it, I'll work on the particle effects and the full screen option. Been super busy with work and school though. Annoyed

http://ultra-troopers-x.googlecode.com/f...persb4.zip
This is awesome! You have to finish this game. It reminds me of Alien Syndrome on the Amiga (but smoother).

I had some trouble starting it up. Is it just one level?

respect,
pk

iFrog is coming.
(Oct 8, 2011 06:07 AM)ipeku Wrote:  This is awesome! You have to finish this game. It reminds me of Alien Syndrome on the Amiga (but smoother).

I had some trouble starting it up. Is it just one level?
Thanks, Alien Syndrome is awesome!
You should be able to play all 4 levels. The only way to get to the next level is by destroying all the enemies.

Yea, I would love to expand this one with all the features I left out due to time constraints. ('cause right now it kinda feels like the "store-brand vanilla" version of the game I had in mind Rasp)
Finally got around to playing this. Definitely shows some good potential, but it feels like it needed a bit more time spent on it than the contest deadline allowed. I took down some notes while I was playing. It's a bit haphazard, but maybe you can find some useful feedback in here somewhere:
  • Can't get away from enemies when they're on you; can't do much to shoot them while running (maybe intentional? Have to play carefully so as not to get a whole swarm at a time). Still, being able to take another hit without any time to recover from the previous one means that if a fast-moving enemy gets you up against a wall, your entire health pool can be drained without a single thing you can do about it.
  • Great to see a two-player mode! I'm not sure about the decision to lock the camera onto player 1 and just let player 2 roam around anywhere offscreen, but I suppose it's a reasonable enough way to do it.
  • Multi-player button doesn't appear to do anything other than play a sound?
  • Would like to be able to reconfigure controls (with gamepad support, ideally)
  • Music doesn't loop seamlessly; fades out when looping
  • During death or level transitions, the camera moves to lower left corner of the level for no apparent reason
  • Points flying up to the display at the top is a very nice touch!
  • I'd like to be able to pause (automatically when the app is backgrounded, too) and be able to return to the main menu from the game some way other than dying or quitting
  • I see a health pickup sound in the application bundle and a sprite for it on the game banner, but can't find any in the game?
  • Background pixel art looks nice, but sprites are a bit blurry (GL_LINEAR?)
  • Some screen tearing, needs VBL sync
  • Out of curiosity, any reason enemies move in zigzag patterns when they're chasing you?
  • Hard to see exactly how far shots travel because of particles
  • No way to exit win screen?
  • Window resizing doesn't work, leaves GL view at the same size in the corner

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kung Fu Killforce [uDG 2011] JustinFic 34 34,257 Jan 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Your Story [uDG 2011] maximile 64 47,899 Oct 25, 2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Flying Sweden [uDG 2011] WillMiller 59 50,131 Oct 19, 2011 08:05 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook