Felinity

Keeping the formal blog over at http://hkasoftware.blogspot.com/

First draft of Little Tandy's Idle Stance in the Battle Engine (This is pretty close to what she will look like). As you might recognize from previous screens, the color scheme for the map walking Tandy is wrong. Tandy is a full blown cute tabby cat (just like on the title scene).
[Image: Idle0.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Hmm, something... seems to be missing...
(Jul 8, 2011 11:55 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Hmm, something... seems to be missing...

that would be crude Rolleyes
(Jul 9, 2011 09:18 AM)skyhawk Wrote:  
(Jul 8, 2011 11:55 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Hmm, something... seems to be missing...

Just make it a toggle setting with parental control. Like some games have a toggle setting for blood, or profanity.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
(Jul 9, 2011 09:45 AM)MattDiamond Wrote:  
(Jul 9, 2011 09:18 AM)skyhawk Wrote:  

Just make it a toggle setting with parental control. Like some games have a toggle setting for blood, or profanity.

SOUND (On/Off)
MUSIC (On/Off)
SUBTITLES (On/Off)
CAT BUTTHOLE (On/Off)

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
You guys RolleyesLOL

So the first level starts off in the alley way where Tandy loses her mother. From there, you set out on your adventure.
[Image: Alley20110709.png]
As you can see, the first map is rather large. One thing to notice are the roads are covered with Battle Triggers. If you walk Little Tandy out in the roads (not at a crosswalk or sidewalk), you have a chance to do battle with a car. I'll tell you one thing, no matter how hard you hit a car, a car hits back harder.

I've also planned out the rat story (simple as it may be, I think it will be rewarding to go through it).

I'm still unsure what I want to go on in the park and on the far right of the map. I know how I want the map / stage to end, but unsure the best way to go about it.
My wife suggested either putting panties on the cat, or a cute little santa outfit.

Anyway, I played the binary yesterday. So far so good!

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Grabbed a placeholder image for the car so I could quickly test out the car battling. It works how I want it to.
[Image: DeK7W.jpg]
Somehow I don't think there will be too many jaguars roaming the streets of our fair city.
Car attacks stray cat with Radiator At 65 Miles Per Hour!

It's super effective!

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Little Tandy can now level up, with satisfying results!

[Image: FelinitySS004.png]
So I got leveling to work in that you can also gain abilities (or upgrade abilities). Thus Tandy gains her first ability, Lick.

In addition to this, I worked on Saving. Most of it is purely visual, but the logic flow is correct, and the only thing that needs to be done now is writing the file, and serializing my objects (I suppose that would be the important part of saving).
[Image: FelinitySS005.png]

A video of this in action can be seen here.
Memory Management will be the death of me
(Jul 18, 2011 12:35 AM)skyhawk Wrote:  In addition to this, I worked on Saving. Most of it is purely visual, but the logic flow is correct, and the only thing that needs to be done now is writing the file, and serializing my objects (I suppose that would be the important part of saving).

Wait… You have to actually write a file to do this thing called saving?

It all makes sense now…

(Also, your game is looking good Rasp )

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
There are no cool gameplay or screenshots this post, merely update on progress.

Most of the past week has been spent tracking down and fixing memory related problems. Threading, and other misc things can cause all kinds of weird concurrency issues, and utterly obliterate your system (2 threads accessing a single opengl context apparently is grounds for a kernel panic).

That being said, there are plans, big plans in the coming week to see a lot more gameplay!

I'm a tad unsure on how much I wan to show though.
So the moment of revealing has arrive. The first bad guy!
[Image: Alley+Rat_Idle0.png]

Ugly little rat isn't he? He's also full animated as well with attacks.
I think I did a fairly good job of creating our first enemy of the game. There will also be one variant of him for a later portion of the level.

Other stuff done:

Tandy can now gain Hiss at Level 4. This is the first move that utilizes the Buff system. Unfortunately the game doesn't have a way to coordinate / visualize to you that the buff is on / fell off of you, but rest assured, it's happening there in the background!
Characters heal to full when they gain a level. This is mostly a difficulty nerf. Since there is almost no resting until the end of the first area (I may add that ability later), it became nearly impossible to manage yourself on Licking and level gaining alone. Don't worry, I'll make sure the game still remains challenging
Also with this post, the first time you can download and preview the game.

Download Preview