8-Bit Commando (run 'n gun platformer)

Apprentice
Hey, everybody. We're excited to announce that today, after nearly 12 months of developement, 8-Bit Commando was officially released for both Windows and MacOS!
[Image: 11b.png] [Image: 10b.png]

Full version includes:
- 6 levels of intense action
- local coop multiplayer
- beautiful retro graphics
- online hiscore system
- a rocking chiptunes soundtrack

Download 8-Bit Commando (MacOS & Windows)
Quote this message in a reply
Looks fantastic! Any plans for an iOS version? The daily commute is the only time I get to play games nowadays.
⌘-R in Chief
Neat. Played it a little bit. Saw some seams between tiles while moving. When I die (which had no sound for screams of agony and despair) and the restart screen pops up, I press return, which then takes me to a Pause screen, which I then hit return again to hit Continue which then takes me immediately to another pause screen. Return then restarts.

I find the really slow walking movement to be frustrating. Other than that it's seems very nicely done. Must get back to work though.

Who did the art and music?
Apprentice
(Jul 10, 2011 04:48 PM)monteboyd Wrote:  Looks fantastic! Any plans for an iOS version? The daily commute is the only time I get to play games nowadays.
Thanks. Although there is an iPad port in the works for the engine I'm not sure if the game would be a good fit for those sorts of devices.

Quote:Neat. Played it a little bit. Saw some seams between tiles while moving. When I die (which had no sound for screams of agony and despair) and the restart screen pops up, I press return, which then takes me to a Pause screen, which I then hit return again to hit Continue which then takes me immediately to another pause screen. Return then restarts.
Hey, thanks for the feedback. We're still polishing up the game so I'll definitely try to fix those bugs in the next build.

Quote:I find the really slow walking movement to be frustrating. Other than that it's seems very nicely done. Must get back to work though.

The movement physics could be tweaked, I agree. Kinda strange but I've been playing the game for so long that I've gotten used to the floaty physics.

Quote:Who did the art and music?
The music is from a chiptune artist called Ozzed (http://ozzed.net). I found his work on Jamendo.
The artwork is my own 12-month effort and was all done in glorious MS Paint. Smile As of this moment the full version of the game has over 1300 individual sprite frames/tiles.
the artwork is glorious!
Love the art and music in this game. Very evocative of Contra! However I have to second the feelings about the floaty running and jumping. I really hope you would consider making it more responsive! I'm a huge fan of these types of games but the running and jumping was a huge turn off for me, especially when I got to the wrecking ball fight and the time between what I was telling my dude to do and when he was actually doing it was very noticeable.

Make that dude snappier and you've got a sale and a recommendation out of me in an instant! And I'm very choosy when it comes to shooters Smile

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Apprentice
Hi Justin, we just updated the Mac build of the game about an hour ago and the player controls are much improved now! Smile
(Jul 12, 2011 12:07 AM)dopeman Wrote:  Hi Justin, we just updated the Mac build of the game about an hour ago and the player controls are much improved now! Smile

Dude, excellent! Just bought my copy. Looking forward to BMT Micro sending me my code so I can play the rest of the game. Smile

Some more feedback:

- The grenade weapon seems pretty terrible in comparison to the regular gun. It could use some more range or a higher rate of fire. Perhaps even both. After grabbing it in the beginning of level one, I was running for the hills when I got to the point where soldiers are shooting out of windows and additional soldiers are running at you from straight ahead. The gun was too ineffective to combat them and I ended up just going into dodge mode.

- The machinegun powerup could use a higher rate of fire as well. In Contra anyway the main pull of the M powerup was to have a high enough rate of fire that you don't have to wail on the fire button to do good damage. This one is slow enough that I'm still inclined to wail on the fire button anyway, making it no different from the regular gun.

- The "Buy Now" control in-game causes the game to freak out. It goes to a black screen and seems to be playing two songs at once.

Justin Ficarrotta
Apprentice
(Jul 13, 2011 07:52 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  Dude, excellent! Just bought my copy. Looking forward to BMT Micro sending me my code so I can play the rest of the game. Smile
Hey Justin. Thanks for buying the game! We are planning to make some updates to it in the following few weeks, so you may want to re-download it from BMT Micro once in a while.

(Jul 13, 2011 07:52 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  - The grenade weapon seems pretty terrible in comparison to the regular gun. It could use some more range or a higher rate of fire. Perhaps even both. After grabbing it in the beginning of level one, I was running for the hills when I got to the point where soldiers are shooting out of windows and additional soldiers are running at you from straight ahead.
Did you notice that you can lob granades further by holding down the shoot button for a longer period of time?

(Jul 13, 2011 07:52 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  - The machinegun powerup could use a higher rate of fire as well. In Contra anyway the main pull of the M powerup was to have a high enough rate of fire that you don't have to wail on the fire button to do good damage.
That's not a bad idea. I might try in the next build.

(Jul 13, 2011 07:52 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  - The "Buy Now" control in-game causes the game to freak out. It goes to a black screen and seems to be playing two songs at once.
We'll look into this soon.
Thanks a lot for the feedback!
Ivan
Ooh, I didn't notice about the grenade launcher. Tried it again and it makes a lot more sense now (how it actually fires on RELEASE) but it's still a little too wacky for my taste. I avoid the G powerups like the plague. Rockets seem to be the hotness, as I was able to obliterate the first boss in a few seconds by just standing there, spamming the attack key, and letting homing fire do the rest.

I was able to kill the second boss by simply firing straight up with the starting gun as quickly as possible. Not sure if this was intentional (as Contra has a lot of cardboard bosses that go down in a flash like that too) but just a heads up that I'll never get to see what that boss can do because I can end him before he ramps up Wink

Finally, a fatal bug in level 3: At the first big gun (the one that tilts up and fires rockets) you cannot jump onto the next platform. You go right through it, but you don't die-- you can keep running forward off the bottom of the screen as if nothing had never happened and scroll through the rest of the level, although no events seem to be triggering. The game becomes stuck at the end of the level. This happens to me 100% of the time.

Justin Ficarrotta
Apprentice
Hey Justin. I'm not sure if you noticed but I sent you another PM. We fixed this issue so it should be OK after you re-download the game from BMT Micro.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Metroidvania platformer game "Star Saver" for iPhone and iPad gatti 4 3,740 Aug 20, 2014 07:27 PM
Last Post: EvolPenguin