Dicetris [uDG 2011]

Once you add more music, you should definitely release the soundtrack. The music was one of my favorite things about the game! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks! I will convey your message to our producer.

We're glad we got to the top 5 in audio. Positive vibrations to those who digged us.

respect,
pk

iFrog is coming.
Congratulations on getting a playable game done by the deadline! I've done a few uDG contests in the past so I know how hard that is to pull off.

Thoughts regarding getting the player to learn to use combos and not just sevens. Looking at some successful games suggests some approaches. (I apologize that I haven't played the game before offering these, but I think they are general enough that they will apply.)

A very direct way is by granting achievements for mastering basic and advanced techniques.

Some games award money/points as a secondary goal to survival, and you can spend the money on upgrades or new gameplay modes. Giving a few cheap awards early on gives the player a taste for them, and thus incentive to move beyond the most basic playing techniques.

This also rewards players who aren't good to keep playing. Even if they never get past level 5, say, over time they might earn upgrades that let them progress further. Plants vs Zombies is a good example of this. Most players can easily finish the adventure mode without upgrades, but they are available for purchase anyway. And early on, the player is walked through this by Crazy Dave to unlock the 8th plant slot.

A second way is to train the player explicitly through tutorials and objectives. For example, on the first tutorial level, train the player to make sevens. Success once they've made 5 of them. Then teach them to make a series, success when they've made 5 of those. (A good in-game tutorial is very important.)

Even when playing the game in a Tetris-style survival mode, you can offer bonuses periodically. Pop up a message, "Five 5's for 500!" and the player has 30 seconds to make that goal to get the bonus. Not only does this tie into the first incentive (gather points or dollars to spend on upgrades) but it adds variety and it gives your game two difficulty levels simultaneously. New players can concentrate on survival, advanced players can risk losing in order to try and rack up the bonuses.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Thanks man. Those are ingredients that you just gave for our recipe. We appreciate the feedback.

respect,
pk

iFrog is coming.
Not sure if it has been noticed, but you can quickly beat the game by pressing 'W' which brings up the boss right away, which is kind of what I did when I didn't know how to play.
(Oct 17, 2011 08:27 AM)Zorg Wrote:  Not sure if it has been noticed, but you can quickly beat the game by pressing 'W' which brings up the boss right away, which is kind of what I did when I didn't know how to play.

whoops! that's used for testing and it seems we forgot to disable it. in the next version the W will be used to speed up the dice.

respect,
pk

iFrog is coming.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kung Fu Killforce [uDG 2011] JustinFic 34 33,930 Jan 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Your Story [uDG 2011] maximile 64 47,450 Oct 25, 2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Flying Sweden [uDG 2011] WillMiller 59 49,525 Oct 19, 2011 08:05 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook