I would like to learn how to make one of these

Nibbie
Well ive been playing these two games for a couple years now. Mafia Death and Fatal Play. There both Text-Based MMORPG games.

Ive found one site that lets you create one. But you cant open the code, to edit it. (Like editing the source code/theme or anything else.) I was wondering if there was another site out there that let you open up a MMORPG kinda like Fatalplay/ Mafiadeath. If yall have any ideas of sites that let you do that without downloading a bunch of stuff thanks Grin

EDIT
This is the site i was talking about at first (the one that limits what you can edit on your site you make through them Mafia Creator
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
(Jul 16, 2011 06:40 PM)Abyssus Wrote:  Well ive been playing these two games for a couple years now. Mafia Death and Fatal Play. There both Text-Based MMORPG games.

Ive found one site that lets you create one. But you cant open the code, to edit it. (Like editing the source code/theme or anything else.) I was wondering if there was another site out there that let you open up a MMORPG kinda like Fatalplay/ Mafiadeath. If yall have any ideas of sites that let you do that without downloading a bunch of stuff thanks Grin

EDIT
This is the site i was talking about at first (the one that limits what you can edit on your site you make through them Mafia Creator

No one site give you option to edit codes....! you should learn language to create your own games instead of stealing data........!
Apprentice
I agree 100% with aonali6 there matey.

Here is a recommended reading list for iOS Development to get you started: http://ios-blog.co.uk/resources/recommen...ading-ios/
Nibbie
Technically you are only committing intellectual property theft if you distribute it, maybe he/she is aiming to create said games to learn a programming language and to gain game development experience. maybe even for a resume?

instead of critique OP, help him out. OP id say find some info on Java and C++ figure out which adheres to you and learn it. if you already have then id look into game engines (not so much the graphical or sound engines but the battle engines)
Okay, all these posts are a little strange, so I'm going to have to step in and make some corrections.

aonali6: The linked Mafia Creator site does give you the option to "edit codes". Their service is a game creation service where you can create your own game within the limited confines of what their web-based engine allows. It's not stealing data or code.

jblevins1991: Copying a game idea is not any sort of copyright violation or intellectual property theft. If you were going to copy content out of a game, or copy the artwork, you will run into problems. Mechanics or genres are not protected.

Java or C++ are not suitable for a browser based text game like Mafia Wars / Ikarium / Utopia, etc. You should learn a bit of HTML and a server side language like PHP. You'll probably also need some backend database experience if you want to write your own from scratch.

In any case, it doesn't sound like the OP wants to make Mac or iOS game, so this probably isn't the appropriate forum, anyway.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
(Oct 21, 2011 07:45 PM)AndyKorth Wrote:  Java or C++ are not suitable for a browser based text game like Mafia Wars / Ikarium / Utopia, etc. You should learn a bit of HTML and a server side language like PHP. You'll probably also need some backend database experience if you want to write your own from scratch.

You can tell it's not the appropriate forum because Ruby on Rails wasn't even mentioned. Shock

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Apprentice
text-based games like Mafia Wars are perfect to build with 3rd party frameworks like Titanium, Phonegap or appMobi. No need to tap into the GPU, and focus instead on the game and the server logic. Also, you get to code in Javascript, which is pretty awesome ( you can easily make fancy Ajax refreshes which are heavily used in these games. Eg: Do mafia job, earn 20 xp without refreshing the page. )

About me
I experiment with game analytics. Read about it here