Same/Sane [uDG 2011]

Apprentice
Hi all, I am completely new to this forum and contest. I came across it through pure chance the other day and became really interested. I want to see what I can do in 5 weeks Rasp

Brief info: Game about the numbness of life and countless routine work. Will have a story mode, free play, and 2-player mode.

Game Name: Goel (Garden of Eden: Life)
Type: 2d side scrolling adventure game.
Technology Used[thus far]: Unity3D, Blender, Sketchup
Intended Platforms: Windows, Mac.

Character of this story is an old man. Below is my WIP.
[Image: walkcycleOLDMAN.png]

Don't know what else I'm supposed to post here :S
[Update 1]
After some iterations of the Goel game, I decided to take a turn and make a different styled game: Same or Sane.
http://www.udevgames.com/entries/220

The game will be a homage to many great Indie games created thus far.

The game is the story of a man who can’t remember who he is. All he could remember is a flash of light and his bursting head ache. Realizing that he is in a weird chamber filled with water, he fights to escape…

This is the first little guy that I finished:
[Image: Screen%252520shot%2525202011-08-31%25252...2520AM.png]

Dev Build V.1: http://udevgames.s3.amazonaws.com/entrie...orSane.zip
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HJ0CYFYT

Controls(these weren't introduced in the level included):
WASD - walk arround
Space - jump

[Update 2]
New Screenshot. Not exactly the style I expected, but I like where the style landed
[Image: Screen%252520shot%2525202011-09-14%25252...2520PM.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Looks like you're on the right track! Welcome to the contest!

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Apprentice
Thanks! And if all go as planned, I'll release a demo this afternoon. Smile
You will have plenty of people interested in playing that demo Smile

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Apprentice
This part took me longer than I expected. This is the beginning of Chapter 1 of Same or Sane. There might be some things you need to know to understand the insane AI, but I'll save that for the final build Wink This chapter is not a "game" yet so to speak. Only demonstrating that a lot of the mechanics implemented. Enjoy Smile

http://udevgames.s3.amazonaws.com/entrie...orSane.zip
Grin
don't use megaupload. udevgames offers free hosting for you, and it's WAY better
Apprentice
Thank for the reminder! You are totally right too Rasp Updating link. http://udevgames.s3.amazonaws.com/entrie...orSane.zip
Apprentice
A new build is released. a proper menu + introduction is added. Smile
Apprentice
On the edge of nervous breakdown. Sooo much to do this week. Have an interview today and a kick off party to attend. Have to force myself to finish this game... Damn, wish I learned of this contest a lot sooner XD.
(Sep 28, 2011 07:03 AM)revelation Wrote:  On the edge of nervous breakdown. Sooo much to do this week. Have an interview today and a kick off party to attend. Have to force myself to finish this game... Damn, wish I learned of this contest a lot sooner XD.

It's always the way! Cmon! YOU CAN DO IT! *cheers* Wow

Smile
Oh hey, I accidentally skipped this one but it's looking great! Really nice atmosphere, makes me want to explore.
Apprentice
Thanks for the encouragement. It's motivating me to keep pushing myself. Smile
Worked on my 10.6.8 MacBook. My computer may be somewhat old, but the time spent on the 'chapter' title screens seemed very long and I couldn't tell if the game had locked up. I had a hard time telling what this game is supposed to be- the first area was very atmospheric and promising but then suddenly I'm Meat Boy? To be fair, I had a hard time understanding the synthesized speech after the subtitles went away. I guess I could interpret it as someone who stayed up late playing indie games had some sort of fever dream about them. The double jump area felt sort of odd in 3D, but first person platforming is pretty hard to get right.
Apprentice
(Oct 1, 2011 12:41 PM)phydeaux Wrote:  Worked on my 10.6.8 MacBook. My computer may be somewhat old, but the time spent on the 'chapter' title screens seemed very long and I couldn't tell if the game had locked up. I had a hard time telling what this game is supposed to be- the first area was very atmospheric and promising but then suddenly I'm Meat Boy? To be fair, I had a hard time understanding the synthesized speech after the subtitles went away. I guess I could interpret it as someone who stayed up late playing indie games had some sort of fever dream about them. The double jump area felt sort of odd in 3D, but first person platforming is pretty hard to get right.

Thanks for the feedback. I am actually quite unsure what kind of game I've conjured up. It's an experimental piece I would say. I don't even know if it qualifies being a game at this point. and I've decided to add subtitles everywhere, since synth voice is actually quite hard to understand. Smile
I played and beat this game. It could be more polished (and offer a mouse sensitivity and inversion preference for example). In the chapter with the room, you can "escape" it without dying immediately at level 19, which looks like a bug to me. It seems like the game has changed since the description in the first post here.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite games from the contest. I wish there were more chapters though. I really liked the gameplay, disturbing music, and story/dialogues/speech feel to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kung Fu Killforce [uDG 2011] JustinFic 34 33,562 Jan 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Your Story [uDG 2011] maximile 64 46,870 Oct 25, 2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Flying Sweden [uDG 2011] WillMiller 59 48,803 Oct 19, 2011 08:05 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  uDevGames 2011 - Updates SethWillits 47 27,526 Oct 19, 2011 05:09 AM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Leader of Mans [uDG 2011] AndyKorth 48 32,547 Oct 17, 2011 03:11 PM