Short survey about app translation - help out my Startup Weekend team

Hey everybody,

I know you're all busy on uDevGames 2011 - but could you spend 60 seconds to take a 7-question survey about app translation?

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/660401/App...ion-Survey

My Startup Weekend group is creating a service to make localizing an app (whether Mac, iOS, or whatever) incredibly easy.

Wondering what localization is?

Picture this...

Have you ever been in a country that doesn't speak a language you understand?

Isn't it a relief when you see a sign or words in your native language?

App localization gives your app that warm feeling of relief to a whole new world of users.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
"Why haven't you pursued app translation?"

> Not worth the hassle

I suppose that falls under "too difficult", but I don't think localization is *difficult*, it's just annoying and tedious, and probably not terribly beneficial in the end. (It would be for a few top languages, but is it still really worth the effort? Eh.)
Thanks for taking the survey!

What is the most difficult pain point for you? Is it too annoying to type out the NSLocalizedString() everywhere it's necessary, and create the associated .strings files? Because I must admit, for me, I hate doing that too.

We are going to be showing real data to demonstrate why it makes sense to localize, and we are going to be doing some things that make it much easier than it is today... and eventually, in our version 2.0 or 3.0, it will be ridiculously simple.

What is the maximum amount of time you're willing to put into localization?

In my mind, I just want to write my app like normal, not think about localization or translations, and then just hit a button to have everything translated and all the appropriate files and calls synthesized at the end.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Luminary
There are a fair number of loaded questions here... not sure how useful the data you get will be when you browbeat your sample population so severely.

It feels more like a marketing spiel than honest market research.
⌘-R in Chief
The xibs by far. Having to change layout to accommodate various text lengths. I already stick NSLocalizedString everywhere in my code, but heck if I can be bothered to have to deal with getting updated nibs every time I change something. I've had many offers for free translations from customers, but I don't want to have to deal with it.
Luminary
Constraint-based layout (new in 10.7) is supposed to fix the length issues, BTW, as well as L<->R reflection if you decide to localize to eg. Arabic.
⌘-R in Chief
I'll take a look at constraint layout after NMOS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Salary survey Carlos Camacho 45 17,978 Mar 10, 2006 04:58 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond