Inkubator 2.0

Founder
Would be nice to reboot this idea. What would be good is to assign roles for project manager, coders, level editors and so on. Using the most common development system. The project doesn't need to be Hooptie but anything else. And perhaps setting a set schedule. I'm sure there are enough people here to work on such a project.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
It has failed two, or is it three, times now. What makes this time different?

I think we've proven by now that the best collaborations are between two people with common interest...
Assuming that OSC's comments were intended to be constructive... Wink
What can we learn from the previous attempts?
I think that last time around there was a lot of initial enthusiasm, but then something of a delay while a basic framework was put together. By the time things started to get going, a fairly small number of people actually joined in with coding and, as they got tied up with other commitments, they all pulled out and the project died.
We might be able to prevent that from happening again if we make it easier for people to jump right in immediately and start producing content and assembling an actual game. There are obvious ways to do this. such as using Unity, but I think it would be nice to harness the community's existing resources. We could easily re-use the GameBase framework from the last Inkubator project for example. And then there is all the source code that uDevGames has just produced. There may not be an easily re-usable game engine in there (all the experienced competitors advise against trying to create such a thing, after all), but there are bound to be some blocks of code that can be harnessed. I'd happily lend a few classes here and there from my aborted project, but for anything I might have to offer, there are almost certainly better examples available.
I also wonder if the scale of the previous projects has been part of the problem. For most people, Inkubator was probably something they had intended to work on casually alongside other projects. That being the case, it might be better to work on a small, casual game - although I admit that I'm not completely sure how to square that with the desire to get loads of people involved. Would a small but complete game galvanise support for the next (slightly bigger) project, or just make everybody say "alright, Inkubator's finished - I'll go and do something else now"?
⌘-R in Chief
I am also of the mindset that starting a community project from scratch won't go anywhere (as it hasn't in the past). Design by committee doesn't work and nobody wants to play second fiddle.

The only way to make it work is to start a game on your own, prove the concept, and allow people to contribute.
Sage
Oof. You do *NOT* want to work on a community project with Unity. It's hard enough to figure out the control flow on a project that you made with 4 other people and version control with it is sort of a nightmare unless you have Unity Pro.

Anyway, I've definitely seen community projects work (TIGSource has seen a few pretty successful ones), but they always seem to have one guy that ends up doing most of the work anyway.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I consider Hooptie (at least) to have been a success... The game worked, there were some levels, and it would have been easy to make more. And the goal was always to learn, and I learned how to animate a clumsily animated penguin. Win!

It does seem that it would require someone to take the reigns and create a start that would get other people interested, then to assign roles to those who express interest, as Carlos suggests.
I wonder if it might be better setup Inkubator more like uDevGames with contestants paired up with more experienced developers? That way some of the more experienced devs can pass along some of their knowledge and the game design process doesn't get bogged down in committees and voting.