graphics & animations made in max

Nibbie
Hi all, I'm brand new here, first time poster, so I hope you won't mind if I ask a couple of stupid questions that may seem elementary to some.

I am working on my first iPhone project and am working in tandem with a 3D graphic designer / animator. He has modeled a glass in max, and when the animation plays, it pours liquid into the glass.

Now what I need to do is display the first frame of that animation (i.e. just the glass sitting on a table) and then when a person taps the iPhone screen, the animation should play and the liquid should pour in. Later on I will want to make it so that when a user tilts the iPhone, the liquid should pour out of it. But that's later (and again he can make the animation for it).

What I have been struggling with is how to bring this onto the iPhone. I messed around with Unity for a while but found it to have severe limitations (the fluid animation is baked into the file that Max exports and doesn't have keyframes, so it wouldn't work there). After much debate on the Unity forums it seems that Unity can't play video files.

What seemed like a pretty simple project has quickly turned hellish. Some recommended OpenGL but I don't see how that would happen.

Anyone got any suggestions? A point in the right direction would help. Blush

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
It could be done using OpenGL, but if you don't already know how to program 3D graphics, specifically OpenGL, it is a *very* complex process to do what you're suggesting. [Not knowing specifically what the animation is, I'm making assumptions here, but...] The short explanation is that you'd have to export the Max geometry (glass and water) to your own custom format, and then save the frames of the water to be interpolated frame by frame and "played back" on the iPhone. It's not easy to do.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to save it as a movie and play it back on iPhone like that.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Made Subway Surfer surf through ibingame 2 5,259 Jul 27, 2012 05:09 AM
Last Post: ibingame
  Anyone made a lite version? kendric 3 4,010 Aug 20, 2009 10:59 AM
Last Post: CyberGreg