Mini Contest Ideas

The sanity idea could be cool, like there are penguins (just an idea Smile ) that tell you the way to go, then all the HUD or interface could be some sort of hallucination? Like the main menu could be dustbins with smiley faces or something.

~ Bring a Pen ~
Quote this message in a reply
Alright, there have been no complaints so:

Contest date: 7-25-09 to 8-8-09.
Contest theme: Time/space manipulation(We'll wait to do sanity till Milanien can enter)

All in favor?

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Wait a second...we finally do a time manipulation contest when I can't enter? Just my luck.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sounds great to me, though it sucks that diordna can't enter.
Thanks for saving the sanity concept!
Most of my game ideas are based on emotion and the emotion usually is mental instability.

I like contests, gives me more of a push to get things done.
ERaZer Wrote:That actually sounds really interesting... The only game I can think of right now that uses sanity is the GameCube game Eternal Darkness, and it was one of the cooler parts of the game.

Two others spring to mind:
Sanitarium
Alice

I suppose we could expand the list a little bit by including:
Any game an insane AI (Marathon, System Shock)
Any game with a mad scientist

Like amnesia, insanity just seems like a useful plot device for a computer game. It's also a useful prerequisite before attempting to WRITE a computer game. :-)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
diordna Wrote:Wait a second...we finally do a time manipulation contest when I can't enter? Just my luck.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

Sad I don't suppose there's anything we can do/change to get you to enter?

I guess uDG is coming up soon(assuming we have it the same time as last year) so we would have to do it soon if we're going too...

- Lincoln Green
Not sure I'll be able to make it this time. Things are completely ridiculous at work at the moment. Would probably be better able to participate if it were a couple of weeks later...
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Not sure I'll be able to make it this time. Things are completely ridiculous at work at the moment. Would probably be better able to participate if it were a couple of weeks later...

Hmm... I guess we should just call it off for now until ThemsAllTook, diordna, and Minalien can enter. I have some of my own stuff I have to get done before the end of July as well.

- Lincoln Green
Hairball183 Wrote:Hmm... I guess we should just call it off for now until ThemsAllTook, diordna, and Minalien can enter. I have some of my own stuff I have to get done before the end of July as well.
Don't hold your breath for me, Lincoln. I'm staying away from game development for a while. I've been doing it for a long time with a lot of intensity, but it got out of hand during uDevGames and I really need to stay out of the next couple of contests no matter how much I like the theme.

In other news, I'm giving a talk on Python game development this weekend, and if there's a video posted (quite likely), I'll be sure to link you guys.

My only advice for running a contest would be to give us at least two weeks' notice and attempt to advertise in other places.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
diordna Wrote:Don't hold your breath for me, Lincoln. I'm staying away from game development for a while. I've been doing it for a long time with a lot of intensity, but it got out of hand during uDevGames and I really need to stay out of the next couple of contests no matter how much I like the theme.

Too bad...

However, postponement still seems like a good idea since that is still two contestants.

Quote:My only advice for running a contest would be to give us at least two weeks' notice and attempt to advertise in other places.

Duly noted. I'll do some looking around.

- Lincoln Green
Founder
Give me a few days to put some page up with details on rules. And to see if we can get a goody or two.

In the meantime, please check our last 21-Days Later Contest rules and provide any rule changes here+
http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12276

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I'm not doing the contest, OEv1 and it's tools aren't done yet.
Ran into that issue last time with Toxic having an impromptu physics engine (A horrible mess) and I'm not doing it again.

Plus, my current game doesn't fit into the topic of What-ever-we-are doing Wink
I'm sure no one cares though Grin
Alright, then let's postpone it - there are currently too many people who can't enter, I'm afraid.
@Carlos: The rules look fine, although we may want to change the size limit.

- Lincoln Green
Founder
I've been thinking about this today. I think I have an idea...

How about a 'demo' contest. The days of Amiga/ST come to mind, but the demo can be of anything... cool parallax effect, nice A* pathing, neat physics displays, etc etc. You'lll have 21 days. All code to be released. Prizes at the end.

So the idea is to allow for programming that can possibly benefit the community but not require the commitment of a game project.

Voting is simple -- takes place in this forum via the Polls.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,061 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,288 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,362 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,647 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  "Sticky" mini-contest favorites ThemsAllTook 10 8,074 May 27, 2009 02:10 PM
Last Post: backslash