new engine in works. advice?

Hi guys,

I've been working on a simple 2d game engine for iOS since a bit longer than one month ago. It would help a lot if you could read the docs and let me know what you think about it in general or any level of detail Smile

The wiki is here: http://x2d.7bit.co

Some notes:
- The engine is written in modern c++. I'm using boost too, yes.
- No scripting yet but Lua will be available thru Luabind
- No physics or AI included
- Compile time plugin system (see UI section)
- Almost 100% pure, portable c++ code. Want to run under Android at some point.

Thanks in advance!
Alex

TapMania - iPhone StepMania // Human knowledge belongs to the world!
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments! Smile

(Mar 14, 2012 01:48 PM)godexsoft Wrote:  Thanks for all the suggestions and comments! Smile

Must have overlooked this thread when it was first posted - reading stuff now...

Looks pretty nice at a glance. I'm really not a fan of either C++ or XML, but what you have seems to be reasonably clean for what it is.

The Input section definitely needs more detail on how the API works and what parameters get passed to the accelerometer and touch callbacks. Some of the pages seem oddly specific...the Zones and Triggers and Spawners sections feel like they're made for a particular game type, but there isn't enough on the pages to give me a good idea of what exactly they do.

When I was putting together my own game development framework, I found it most useful to start with a game project, and only implement something in the library after the need arises from the game. This ensured that everything that went into the framework was driven by a direct need, so I never implemented something unnecessary. The classic advice is "write a game, not an engine." Is there a game you're working on that uses this, or is it being done on its own?
Hi ThemsAllTook. Thanks a lot for your input!

(Mar 14, 2012 02:59 PM)ThemsAllTook Wrote:  The Input section definitely needs more detail on how the API works and what parameters get passed to the accelerometer and touch callbacks.

Will work on it. Thanks.

(Mar 14, 2012 02:59 PM)ThemsAllTook Wrote:  Some of the pages seem oddly specific...the Zones and Triggers and Spawners sections feel like they're made for a particular game type, but there isn't enough on the pages to give me a good idea of what exactly they do.
There is no specific game type but I can see how Zones/Triggers will work best in a 2d platform game..
The spawner could be used as a simple but configurable particle system. Although it might be too expensive to spawn x2d objects for a simple particle system based effect.

(Mar 14, 2012 02:59 PM)ThemsAllTook Wrote:  Is there a game you're working on that uses this, or is it being done on its own?
Yes, there is indeed a game. However I'm not really writing the game along the engine.. instead, I'm writing the engine with all the features I will use in that game Smile I guess it's time to start actually developing the game.. Smile

Thanks for your comments. If you want a copy of the engine sources I will be happy to share. I'm planning to opensource it when the engine is good enough.

Cheers!

Now opensource Smile https://github.com/godexsoft/x2d

Cheers.
Alex

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How Does this game works?? jeroenx000 10 8,860 May 6, 2012 06:36 PM
Last Post: jeroenx000
  Advice on 3D Room engine? devGamer 4 3,858 Mar 21, 2010 10:05 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Getting app store to show the game now works with 3.0? Madrayken 4 4,450 Jan 25, 2010 12:20 PM
Last Post: Madrayken
  Anyone know how the new releases list works? kendric 3 3,662 Aug 30, 2009 09:23 AM
Last Post: kendric
  touches stopped working on device, works in simulator aerospaceman 4 4,624 Jul 29, 2009 05:06 PM
Last Post: aerospaceman