A total noob question..Need same answers !!!

Nibbie
Hello guys

Ok,I am a 3d generalist and I never had experience with creating games\applications for Iphone.

Me and my friends want to create an application for iphone.Basically our idea is to create an application\game where you have your character that you feed,pet,punish,love,don't love etc....the character grows as time passes depending of you actions etc... So i need some advice where to start...I mean how to start !

I have a lot of experience in 3D animation,but this is a totally new field for me.I am not going to do programing so my questions are all about the animation workflow.
We want to make a 2D animation game\application

So guys any start up point for us...any guide lines...tutorials,software. anything?
Quote this message in a reply
It sounds like you have some modeling and/or animation experience? Do you have any programming experience?

If not. An easy launching off point is to take a look at Unity 3D. (http://unity3d.com/mobile/) The mobile version is free at the moment. Although it is more catered towards 3D games/apps you can still make 2D games with it.
Nibbie
thank's for reply
yes,I have experience in modeling and animating....I have no experience in programing.We are on a quest for a programer. :-D

I did a little bit of research...
UDK has animation tree which looks really great for blending different animations...Is there a similar tool in Unity?
Also as I can see you don't have to be a kickass programer to make something in Unity or UDK...so that's a big plus for us :-D

So you sugest we should go with the 3D software although we are making a 2D app...are there any tutorials that cover this topic?
How to import animated 2D character in 3D program,import it as an image sequence and put it on a plane.
Sorry for the super late reply, I failed to subscribe to this thread.

Unity doesn't have a animation blend tree like UDK, but one is coming soon.

But, as you said you don't have to be an expeirced programmer to animate things "fluidly" in Unity. Their layer based animation scripting system is more than enough for most games.

As for using 3D software to author 2D content, here is a postmortem on how Zombieville USA used Unity to make a successfully 2D iOS game. The article even dives a tiny bit into their Maya setup. If you don't want to create your own 3D->2D pipeline for Unity there are a plethora of 2D helper packages available on the Unity Asset Store.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hey noob developer here TheGTS 4 1,970 May 14, 2014 05:23 PM
Last Post: TheGTS