Classic console development kits, samples (Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Neo Geo, etc.)

Apprentice
Hello,

Over the past year, I have been gathering dev kits for classic consoles from around the net, fixing them up to get them in a working state, and then wrote small game samples for each. The samples will compile out of the box.
You can find them at

http://sebastianmihai.com/ccd

I am currently up to 14 different systems.

Enjoy!
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Wow. That's actually really impressive. I've always wanted to try developing some toy programs for older consoles, but I'll probably never have the time. Sad

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Awesome, I've been looking for info about this stuff. Thanks for the link!
⌘-R in Chief
That's pretty cool.

A few years ago I thought it would be fun to try writing an emulator and a game for NES — just for myself. Then I realized how painfully slow writing the game would be. The emulator actually still woulda been kind fun. Looking at the code for Arkanoid in snesc... yeeeeah, I don't want to spend time writing that. Wink
Bookmarked Love I've always been interested in retro-programming (I stumbled upon a copy of a 680x0 assembler I've never had the time to try whilst clearing out a few days ago...) so I'll definitely be checking out the site when I've the time Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Apprentice
Thanks for your kind words!

I have just added a new homebrew game on Neo Geo Pocket Color (NGPC). The game is called NGCollector, and it simulates the life of a Neo Geo collector! Smile

Read more about it at http://sebastianmihai.com/main.php?t=63
Apprentice
Two of my homebrew games are now on cartridges!
[Image: neothunder_neo_geo_aes_cartridge1.jpg]

[Image: snappy_atari_2600_cartridge1.jpg]

More at http://sebastianmihai.com/main.php?t=64
Wow! Definitely very cool!
How were the cartridges produced? By yourself, or by a company?

Mark Bishop
--
Apprentice
(Jun 6, 2012 04:04 PM)sealfin Wrote:  How were the cartridges produced? By yourself, or by a company?

The ROMs were burned to EEPROMs by someone else. I created all graphics for the inserts/labels, and printed most of them.
By the way, if anyone knows of someone, or some website that can create cartridges for other systems (NES, SNES, Sega, etc.), give me a shout.
(Jun 28, 2012 05:09 AM)smccd Wrote:  By the way, if anyone knows of someone, or some website that can create cartridges for other systems (NES, SNES, Sega, etc.), give me a shout.

These guys? I bookmarked them ages ago but I haven't had reason to contact them yet Annoyed

Mark Bishop
--
Don't really have much constructive to add, just wanted to chime in to say that this is amazing and I love you.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Apprentice
(Jun 28, 2012 05:40 AM)sealfin Wrote:  
(Jun 28, 2012 05:09 AM)smccd Wrote:  By the way, if anyone knows of someone, or some website that can create cartridges for other systems (NES, SNES, Sega, etc.), give me a shout.

These guys? I bookmarked them ages ago but I haven't had reason to contact them yet Annoyed

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere on their website that they would do custom homebrew games, and I don't seem to be getting an email reply either...
Apprentice
Hey guys,

While I normally develop for older consoles, this time I came up with a trading game on Windows (using XNA). The game is called Gold of the Kingdoms, and in it, the player attempts to make a profit and ultimately gain influence over all kingdoms of the realm. Random events can occur, and the caravan can be upgraded.

You can find it here:
http://sebastianmihai.com/main.php?t=94&...ebrew-game

Also, here's a screenshot:
[Image: goldofthekingdoms1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bullet Showcase Contest: win a Playstation 3 or Nintendo Wii erwincoumans 2 3,536 Dec 12, 2006 08:30 AM
Last Post: erwincoumans
  redirecting stdout, stderr to console window? WhatMeWorry 5 5,733 Aug 17, 2005 12:12 PM
Last Post: WhatMeWorry
  Rotating Images in Classic Josh 3 4,851 Jul 18, 2002 09:01 AM
Last Post: aarku